Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Cairo, Alabaster Mosque




This is generally referred to as the Citadel. It looks like a medieval fort, which it was, but now it is the Mohammed Ali Mosque also called the Alabaster Mosque. It was built about 900 years ago. Non-believers are allowed inside when it is not being used for worship.









The marble floor was very cold on my bare feet so I was very glad to step onto the 900 year old carpet. Everywhere is color, stained glass windows, carpets, decorated ceiling and walls.








This is a view from outside the Citadel, looking South over Cairo. Cairo is a city of 17 million people (and growing). It didn't matter which way you looked, the city was all around as far as the eye could see.






Here is Jessamy outside of the mosque.
I am having trouble getting the hang of putting photos in this blogg. I suppose I will get better the more I do. Tomorrow I will put up the pictures of Saqqara; the step pyramid and the Teti pyramid. If I remember correctly it was at the Step Pyramid that some guy offered Jessamy 50 camels to marry him.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! 50 camels, that's a lot! I think I would have had to take him up on it!